· Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Many of you enjoy shooting AR's and many have gone to flat tops and scopes but for those that still have and use iron sights do you ever have a shot go off where you are aiming and not quite know why?

This is a test..... you wil be required to make the call if these sight pictures will result in the bullet impacting on the green target or missing it.

The targets are numbered clockwise starting at the upper right corner.

Record your guess for all 8 targets and I will post the correct answers and explanation in a few days.

slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

1. Hit
2. Hit
3. Hit
4. Miss
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
44marty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

I haven't yet used this type of sight, so this is a bit of a guess:

1. Miss
2. Hit
3. Hit
4. Miss
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

Still a bolt action fan myself.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

These military type aperture sights are really very simple but repeatable.

Once you get the rifle pointed to where the sights are lined up (zero the rifle) they work real well.

As a hint - proper sight alignment has the target on top of the front post in the middle of the rear aperature.

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

OK, I'll take a shot at it.
1. Miss
2. Miss
3. Miss
4. Hit
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit
I have a vortex red dot on my Bushmaster, and can see the sights through it, but the red dot just makes it so easy. I'm gonna leave it turned off next trip to the range. This post just reminded me that I don't use the sights often enough.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

cbsweeney wrote:

1. Miss
2. Miss
3. Miss
4. Hit
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

Only 3 hits!?! Are army is in trouble!
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Ok, Dawgdad, alls the bullet has to do is touch the green, right? No need to be center of mass?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
cbsweeney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
cbsweeney wrote:

1. Miss
2. Miss
3. Miss
4. Hit
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

Only 3 hits!?! Are army is in trouble!
I hope they shoot better than that!
The sight picture in each of these is off on purpose, and I guess the different sizes represent different ranges, which I didn't consider when I made the choices. I may have to rethink the whole thing. If the range is close enough, or Far enough, that would change the score.

metz3601

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

1Miss
2Hit
3Hit
4Miss
5Hit
6Hit
7Miss
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

I think the range is the same but there are different size peeps, maybe from different weapons or just to make the quiz more challenging.

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Good Point. I'm curious to see what the answers are. I hope Dawgdad doesn't keep us in suspense for too long.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

yup bullet touches the green is a hit. relative head position will cause the aperature size difference. If you have the chargin handle up you nose like I do... the aperture loooks pretty big. back off from it and it get relatively smaller.

I will post answers tomorrow.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Here is the answers and the reason why. The proper sight alignment must be through the center of the rear aperture. Very slight deviation will throw you off. It will explain why a tight shooting gun will throw off a wild shot too. It may not be the gun - it is the shooter.

Note - the cross hairs are not standard equipment Very Happy

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Ok, what's the prize?

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

The respect and admiration of the entire online commmunity....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2