Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824167
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

'Roo "Hunting" ?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FALPhil

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

www.breitbart.com/arti..._article=1

Quote::

Kangaroo cull begins in Australia: animal welfare group

‘It’s a Slaughter’: Outrage Over Controversial Kangaroo Cull in Australia

A controversial kangaroo cull began at an Australian military site in the national capital Canberra Monday, an animal welfare group said.

The RSPCA said its inspectors had confirmed the killings were being carried out in accordance with appropriate guidelines.

"Our inspectors were on site this morning to observe the final set-up and then they remained on site to observe some of the initial culling of kangaroos," the RSPCA's Michael Linke told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

The ABC reported that at least 20 kangaroos were killed, among about 400 due to be shot in a bid to protect the site from overgrazing and to protect other species.

Animal rights activists, who plan to ask former Beatle Paul McCartney to help save the iconic animals, said they would keep up the protests despite the start of the operation.

Bernard Brennan, an activist with the Canberra Kangaroos Coalition protesting at the site, said about 70 animals, including young joeys, had been herded into holding pens, which were visible from the perimeter.

Once in the pens, the animals were shot with tranquillising darts, he said. "It's pretty horrific because you can see them fighting to stay conscious," Brennan AFP.

He said while he could not see the animals being shot dead, none had emerged from the pens.

The defence department refused to comment on the killings of the marsupials.

The department called off a cull earlier this year after a public outcry, but said at the weekend it now had no option but to call in contractors to kill the animals at the Belconnen Naval Transmitting Site.

The government had withdrawn support for a plan to relocate the kangaroos because it would cost 3.5 million dollars (3.29 million US) and was not considered an effective use of taxpayers' money, the department said.

But activists say the kangaroos could be moved for a fraction of that price.

National Kangaroo Protection Coalition spokesman Pat O'Brien said efforts were being made to contact multi-millionaire McCartney and others to seek a contribution to the cost.

McCartney is a member of the British animal rights group Viva, which has condemned the plan by the defence department to cull the eastern grey kangaroos.

"Defence says cost is an issue, but experts have told us that it could cost as little as 750,000 dollars," O'Brien said. "We have had a lot of offers of donations."

The cull is considered necessary because an overpopulation of kangaroos is damaging the environment at the Belconnen Naval Transmission Site near Canberra.

The animals were to be shot with tranquillising darts and then given a lethal drug.

Activists said they planned to continue their protest at the site.

National Kangaroo Protection Coalition
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Hummm...It's obvious that Vince hasn't been hunting enough. What is the bag limit on 'roo huggers anyway.

Maybe we could send them a few Pumas to help out...It's obvious that the kangeroos don't have any preditors...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
FALPhil

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

This is the part that I thought was hilarious:

The animals were to be shot with tranquillising darts and then given a lethal drug.

Why not just whack 'em?

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Are you kiddin'? As anti gun as Australia is...Besides...That would be too easy and wouldn't cost as much...

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

I think they need to export them to the US and let them live inside one of those high-fenced hunting ranches. There, they will live a happy life, as long as they live, or until hunting season, which ever comes first. I hear that they are a challenging target.

By the way, are they edible or are they like other marsupials, like possums--sort of greasy and unappealing

Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Bushy, The Puma's need to be set after the "RooHuggers". Not the Roo's. Very Happy

gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Bloody roohuggers!!
they rather see em roos died of starvation slowly than putting em out of their misery quick.

those idiots think meat is "grown" in supermarket inside plastic bags or in restaurant kitchens.

good fernothing meddling idiots!!

see the one in the news said
" you could put them in a truck and ship them somewhere else"
"could we put them in your backyard?" ask the reporter
"No, I have a small backyard.."
" so where do you propose to move them?"
" It doesnt matter. Just dont kill them"

Yeah, might as well put them in the moon, there is no population there right now..

@ Cary
roos tastes great - NO FAT!! you got to cook them quick because of that.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Cary...Just think of "giant rat meat"...

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Well said Gelan. The bloody roo huggers wouldn't know sh1t from clay. They see mobs of Eastern Grey kangaroos and think...awww, aren't they nice. What they don't see is the poor condition of them because they can't get enough feed, consequently they suffer a terrible existence. We have the same problem in a couple of parts of Brisbane where I live.

The thing that the bleedin' hearts don't say is that the main reason that the roo population is so high on military land is because they managed to put a stop to some of the culling that was in place years ago. Most military ranges etc now have a civilian Environmental Officer (usually a female, often a lesbian, tree hugger) that looks after the "rights" of the native animals. In the meantime the population climbs and then suffers due to a lack of food.

On many occasions I have gone onto a firing range, settled down in the prone unsupported position to fire a qualifying practice and a mob of roos will hop onto the range. We don't stop our range practice, but woe betide anyone who hits one of the roos...he is in DEEP doodoo. Its not very nice, but I have seen roos taken out by mortar fire on the range...can't be helped, but the Environmental Officer gets really cranky about it and writes a report that causes grief for the soldiers and unit concerned.

FALPhil, unfortunately you can't "just whack 'em" because they are pretty much on the edges of residential areas. The other problem is that people see them as nice cute furry critters that don't do anyone any harm...and they are correct...except that its the roos that are suffering.

As Gelan said, roo meat is nice...cooked correctly. In fact it is quite expensive to buy in restaurants, although it costs me only AUD$6 a kilo for roo mince pet food.

Cary, roos don't offer any real sort of a challenge to hunt, unless you are on foot, then you will find it a bit tough. Thing is, when disturbed they will move off only a short distance then stand and look back to see what it is that disturbed them...CRACK...down he goes. But, if they decide to run (hop), then forget about it...they are bloody fast and the way they hop won't allow you to get a good sight picture. I've seen licenced pro shooters (yep, you need a licence to hunt them) hold a roo at 300m with a spotlight at night. The roo just sits there looking at the light.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
tikkat3

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

My local paper told me that there are 3.5 million roos harvested every year
They are protected, land owners have to apply for a permit to reduce numbers and your name as the shooter has to be registered with National Parks and Wildlife to shoot them on that specific property.
If it is a destruction permit then you can't touch them, they rot where they fall, minimum calibre is .222, head shot only.
whittling

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

so how do you cook them ? and if the viva [French for life ironic] complain tell them that in America We'd love to hunt em .

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

How do you cook them.....well a full roo is a bit big to put in the oven or on the bbq...so, it is best to cut steaks from the rump. There are a couple of different ways of using the tail as well...the most popular being soup.

Cheers, Vince

FALPhil

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

How do you cook a wombat? In a billy?

Wombat stew, wombat stew!
Crunchy, munchy,
For my lunchy
Wom - bat stew!
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Cook a Wombat ?!?!?! Confused You gotta be kiddin' mate.

A wombat is about the toughest critter I have ever encountered. I remember many years ago I came across a VW Bug on its side on a country road out near where I lived at the time. I asked the guy driving what happened....I hit a #$%*@*# wombat !!!!!! They are as solid as three brick walls.

So eat one...mate, I reckon it would be easier to cook and eat a house brick....and probably a little more tender than a wombat. Anyways they are not a nasty critter...they keep very much to themselves. In fact if I had to decsribe the nature of one I would say that they are the same as the animated crow type critter in the Disney cartoons that keeps walking and hopping along with the little native guy trying to hunt him with his spear.

Cheers, Vince

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'Roo "Hunting" ? Reply with quote

Well Bushy, I'm not into eating rat; although, I hear that pack rats are tasty.

Vince and geland, if they are not already doing it, they should be advertizing around the world to come to Australia to hunt kangaroos. You could do like they do in Texas, high-fence the ranches and charge a bundle for hunting. High-fenced ranches down here make more money on hunting that they can on raising livestock.

Cary

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 4