Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdeano88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

I'm split between which weapon to cross off the wish list next and keep going back and forth. I know I know, one's a handgun and one's a battle rifle and there's a big difference but if you had the choice between the two, which one would you grab?
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

I would go for the Kimber......would have more use for it....I think.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Arron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

Uh well? I am not sure; what is the intended useage? And do have anything currently that would fill the requirements? Both would make an excellent investment. But as you have that new turret rig now you are going to have to add a new set of dies and shell holder to the shelf, or a new turret head and dies and shell holder. HA HA!! By the way I think you will be very happy with the press. Good luck with your new way to pass alot of time, it is very addictive when you start playing with components, but the nice thing is now you can try different combinations that are not loaded by any factory.
Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

Its best to avoid such wretching conflicts. Buy both. But, why would you want a PTR91 when original H&Ks are available? And, which PTR91 would you choose, anyway?

In terms of parts availability, how good will the PTR91 be? What warranty and how good is that warranty, and how long of a turn around time?

IMO, the Kimber is the more pragmatic choice, unless you have a subjective need to blast away with 308. Kimbers are among the best for out of the box accuracy, their warranties are honored, if ever needed, in a timely manner and they, certainly, are less expensive to operate. Of course, they are a lot easier to take to the range!

Go original H&K or go Kimber, IMO.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

Kimber .45 ACP...Without a doubt...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
bigdeano88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

Handloader, I was looking at the JLD PTR-91F, just the regular G3 clone. I would go original H&K but they're three times as much as the JLD and seems everyone thinks the JLDs are as good if not better than the H&K. JLD makes their PTR-91s using machines bought from H&K, some H&K parts, and what's not H&K is made right here in the USofA. As for use... both would be for going to the range and blasting the hell outta targets, I might take the 91 hunting once or twice, and the Kimber of course would be a fairly frequent carry weapon.
bigdeano88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

Good point on the reloading aspect Arron. No point in reloading NATO rounds when you can pick em up so cheap and the .45 would be well worth reloading.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

Humm, 7.62x51mm Surplus is getting dry as far as I know.

Also this would be a tough choice if I was in the United States, the PTR-91 is prohibited here and I'm not grandfathered so I cannot buy one (don't got my pistol license yet though, and I guess even if I was in the US I'm a year too young to buy handguns anyways there), but I think if I had another 1911 in the gun safe I'd go for the PTR-91, if I didn't have a 1911, I'd go with the 1911 first.

However, if I had a son or daughter at a younger age (about 10 or so) I'd get the Kimber anyways if I had another 1911 or not and buy the 22LR conversion set they sell and teach them to shoot a pistol. Smile

Not a real good answer I know but just my thoughts on it. Smile

Dimitri

FALPhil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

I'll offer my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

I have first gen Kimbers and I like them. I am not impressed with current Kimbers. My next 1911 will be a Taurus PT1911. If you have not held one yet, do it before you buy the Kimber. You may change your mind.

As to HKs and their clones, well, I'm not a big fan. HKs are kinda like Toyota cars and Dillon presses. Everyone talks about the good points while ignoring the warts. For the money, you could wait until October, and the CMP will have a new batch of Garands in. You could jump on one of those (unless you are Canadian, eh) and the value would go up as soon as you took it out of the box. Because of their cult status, the value will continue to go up, and there will be an heirloom in your family.

Just my thoughts. Let us know what you decide.
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kimber 45acp or JLD PTR-91? Reply with quote

I have a Kimber Custom Target II, and the Taurus PT 1911.
Both I purchased this year.
I have several thousand loads through each pistol.
Not one little problem with either gun.
At 25yds, I can't tell the difference between either. I pretty much shoot out the 10X with both.
At 50yds, shooting at the 8" black, the Kimber is a tad tighter.

Phil is absolutely correct. I love both pistols.
If I had to make a choice it would be the Kimber, but I am going for exact accuracy at 50yds, and most people don't.
Take a good long look at the PT 1911 before you settle on the Kimber.
It is one fine gun. Totally Custom made, just like advertised, and several hundred dollars cheaper.

Eric

NRA Life Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1