Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New to reloading
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roklok

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got a scale, that should help immensely with using published load data instead of just the loads listed with the Lee loader. That tool you are talking about is the inertia bullet puller. They work pretty well if you only have a few cartridges to dissassemble. I put a ball of cotton in the bottom of mine so the tips of the bullets would not deform hitting the bottom of mallet.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

84jeepj10 wrote:
I meant shellholder as in a place to safely stand shells on end in between reloading processes, and to keep track of how many I've done. Sorry, don't know the lingo yet. BTW what is the clear plastic hammer looking thing? I think you put loaded cases in it to beat out a seated bullet.

Gidday 84jeepj10. The loading block you have made out of wood should be more than adequate.

The clear plastic hammer looking thing you are talking about is called a Kinetic Hammer. You put a loaded round into the top of it, it is held in place by a collet arrangement, the top cap screwed on...you then rap/strike the hammer onto a hard surface a couple of times and because the projectile isn't being held it is able to slip out of the neck of the case. The projectile and the powder is caught inside the head of the "hammer". I use mine quite often.

Here's a link to a website showing reloading tips and pics of some of the tools that are useful:

Reloading Tips

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Hey 84jeepj10, I was stationed at Ft. Hood too (back in the 80's). I'm suprised that they let you have powder and primers in your barracks. When I was there they barely allowed smoking in the barracks. I didn't have to worry about it because I was married but some of my troops were living there.

Good luck with the loading. BTW, I'm seeing on the ballistic charts that the 168gr Hornady A-Max with a ballistic coefficient of .475 would probably be a better choice for long range accuracy and knock down power than the Sierra Gameking with a B.C. of .404. Don't get me wrong, Gamekings are a good bullet but the 168's are optimum for that caliber IMHO.

Also on bullet seat depth, the closer the bullet is to the rifling the better for accuracy but pay particular attention to how well the round feeds into the chamber. You don't want it to hang up when trying to chamber a round because of it being too long.

The way I found that with my .223 was to take a case, no powder or primer and after neck sizing just enough that you can slide a bullet in with very little effort. You should be able to just slide it with your fingers. Slide the bullet in just enough to have a good hold on it, say about .100 or so.

Take the round and chamber it with the bolt completely closed and then carefully take it back out. That should put the bullet at the rifling. Measure it then seat it about .015 more and note that measurement. That is the maximum length you should use.

Crimp it slightly just enough to hold it at that depth. Then see how well it feeds. If it feeds without hanging up then you're all set, if not seat it .010 more at a time until it feeds properly and then note your final overall length.

Mark the bullet with a marker and then pull it with your bullet puller. Make sure that you have atleast .300 bearing surface between the bullet and case neck. Measure this from the mark you put on the bullet to the start of the boat-tail. If you have atleast .300 you're good to go.

Good luck and good shooting.
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

You will like your Lyman 1000 scale.
It works with AC, or a 9V square battery.
I have used mine for a long time, and really like it.
You will have to calibrate it every time that you turn it on, and if you don't get a manual with it, you can either e-mail Lyman and they will send one to you, or better yet, e-mail me at emarleau @ frontiernet.net and I will give you the directions right away.
Don't be afraid to e-mail me. No problem.

If I were to use only one loading book, it would be the Hornady Reloading Book.
A bonus is for new reloaders, it gives you detailed directions on how to reload, and the hazards that you may encounter while reloading.
It is worth the money.
You are dealing with high pressures, and the book is a great tool.

Good Luck,
Eric

NRA Life Member
84jeepj10

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

I'm startioned at Ft Hood but am married with one child and live in family housing, so I can reload and have firearms in the house. I'm currently waiting on approval fro mthe Provost Marshal to apply for a C&R FFL.

The Lyman 1000 I got is a mechanical beam scale, not electronic.

I pulled some loads off of the Hodgdon website with the bullet I want and have decided on the powder to go with, either H4895 or BL-C(2). I have loads that use those in 165 and 165 grn Sierra 30-06sprg that I got off the website, and they seem to be high quality powder.

Without the Kenetic Hammer, are there any other manual ways to pull a seated bullet, whether crimped or not, without damaging the bullet?

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

They do make a collet type bullet puller the can be used on your press.

fireball 3

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

I use both the collet (press mounted) and the kinetic hammer. midwayusa.com has rcbs, and forester brand collet units. Dave Very Happy

K.W.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

I shall beg bardon my comment, but I never used bullet puller. I will put the cartridge in the chamber or magazine and pull the trigger. When I am reloading, must think first an do then. Maybe I am ashole writing this. Am I?
wncchester

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

[K.W." -- "I shall beg bardon my comment, but I never used bullet puller. I will put the cartridge in the chamber or magazine and pull the trigger. When I am reloading, must think first an do then. Maybe I am ashole writing this. Am I?]

KW, an A.H.? Well, maybe but not for your comment!! Very Happy

I assume you have not reloaded a lot, at least not enough to get into much experimenting. If or when you do, you will try some things that shoot so inaccurately that firing all of the ammo will be a waste. THAT'S when you will use a bullet puller to salvage the components for reuse. Shocked

Finland? Can you ship me a SAKO for cheap? Very Happy
84jeepj10

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Thanks for all you're great help.

I hope I'm not out of line with this request. Do an of you hae some .308dia (.30cal) 165 or 168 grn bullets you're not using you wouldn't mind parting with? I'm not able to get any supplies until next payday and even then my buget will be pretty tight.

I think the kenetic hammer would be useful for me later on, in case I mess up my seating depth or anything and need to salvage loaded rounds. BTW is it safe to use a punch type decap to push out a live primer? Just curious.

What is an acceptable tolerance in case lengths in a run of loads? Example, I have some Remington 30-06sprg once fired (from my rifle) brass and when I measured the case lengths out of 20 shells I got a max length variance of .007" meaning my cases run from 2.480" to 2.487" and everything in between. All shells are from the same factory box of ammo. Will this affect my accuracy if I seat all the bullets the same depth?

fireball 3

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

hey jon , in the package going out on friday is besides the cast bullets i a box of nosler 165gr bt's for you . I'll pm you later.ps. there is al;so 50rds of new R.P. brass in 30-06 for you. I have an excess of new R.P. brass.

84jeepj10

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

You rock man! This is by far the best forum I've been in. Everywhere else people start arguments or get off-topic when you ask them a question. Here ya'll have bee nstraightforward, quick and very informative with less BS. Thank you.

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Hey 84jeepj10, IMHO I think there are better powders to use than H4895.

I hear that BL-C2 is kind of temperature sensitive so I'd stay away from that one.

H335 has about the same pressures and velocity but is a really clean burning powder and is a good all temp. powder.

H4350 and IMR4350 have better velocity with a little less pressure. Good all around powders.

Varget has a little better velocity with about the same pressure and is a very consistant powder.

Also, You might want to concider a different primer. Stay with federal but go with the Gold Medal Match #210m.

How are you coming with the bullet seat depth?

Good luck and good shooting Sniper

84jeepj10

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Won't know about the bullet seating depth until I actually get some bullets, right now I've just got the Lee Loader and some brass. Waiting til next paycheck. The reason I was thiking on those powders is because the Hogdgon site lists them as hunting/target/light/medium game powder usage and my Lee Loader came with loads listed for those powders and how much my measure scoop will produce with those powders. The Hogdgon site had loads in 165 and 168 grn with the bullet I want that will produce the velocity I'm looking for. I do need to invest in a good reloading manual. I had assumed from what the website said that those were good powders, but experience is better than commercial data.

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Hodgdon lists the 4350's as top performers for both the 165gr & the 168gr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 5