· Comments: 86

ak-47 whats your thoughts ?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fb41
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

AK/SKS can be used for deer hunting IF soft or hollow point bullets are used. Using mil-surp 7.62 x 39 ammo is like using a .223- leaves a neat hole, but not much else.

One of my hunting partners uses an SKS with a blocked magazine (5 rounds max in FL) with great success. He's got a rifle for less than $250 that works as well as my Remington M7.
bkthomas
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

Handloader wrote:
Counterpoint: from a historical military arms point of view, the AK47 has been among the most influencial of firearms. Kalashnikov's design and economy of production renders it one of the most important firearms of recent decades. But, I am conflicted on how I view the AK47, or, more aptly, the owners of AK47s.

I am not sure it has added much to our American shooting scene. While I realize the attraction of an inexpensive rifle and ammo, I am aware that it is the firearm of choice of our enemies of the recent past and present, that it has been the instrument of death for many American servicemen and will continue to kill our military personnel in years to come. I find it hard to venerate such a firearm. It symbolizes hatred for our country and our system of government. It is a critical instrument of Muslim terrorism.

The pristine deserts of Arizona are littered with more 7.62X39 steel cases than any other chambering. Many (not all, and certainly no one on this list, I am sure) that shoot them are inexperienced and unethical and blast at cactus and bottles without regard for the environment or fellow shooters or the consequences of their actions. At public ranges, the AK47 shooters are amongst the most obnoxious of all participants, spraying their bullets and cases indiscriminately while tearing target frames to pieces.

As a seller of firearms, I see the type of shooters most attracted to the AK47 and their unquenchable thirst for cheap "blasting ammo". IMO they do not represent responsible firearm owners and, in the final analysis, contribute nothing to sportsmanship or ethical ownership.

Wow what a post. I value one's opinion, but I have quite a different outlook on this. I along with many of my military counterparts own AK-47's. Actually I own 2 of them along with a variety of other weapons to include 2 AR-15's. AK's are the most reliable autoloaders I've ever had the pleasure to own. If I needed to use them for what they are actually designed to do, well my Bushmaster and DPMS AR's would never leave the gun safe.

To think AK owners do not represent responsible firearms owners, well that's a load of crap. I don't know of any 16 year military veterans who are irresponsible firearms owners. Just my opinion though.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

bkthomas...Most of us have gone to firing ranges and had to put up with the seudo-military AK-47 blow-hearts. Too many of them seem to collect in one place and disrupt the whole range by splattering others with flying shell cases fired in rapid fire. Even on ranges that have rules against that. Now maybe, just maybe, you and your group are different. That I don't know, but...I was a range master on a california range and most of the time I had to cool these peoples jets. On ocassion have removed them from the range. Please note that at the begining of this I said "seudo-military"...Also note that I spent 22 years in the military...No offence intended here. Just stating what I have seen and a lot of it even on public free ranges and along with the junk that they bring to shoot up and leave behind their shell casings that I amd many others spend weekends volinteering to clean up and not a one of them are there to help. Nothing I like better then to go skiing down a concrete deck on a field of steel cases...

I'm very much aware that we on the other side have a few bad apples too. And I work hard to convince them of their contrary ways. I will STILL defend your right to own these rifles though...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
george20042007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

I met a couple of AK-47 owners just after Xmas on some trust land I hunt on. I arrived on the seen and reminded them about the "no target shooting" on trust land rule. They got these guns for Xmas & just wanted to try them out. I saw the mess they made (they must have shot several hundred rounds). Also reminded them about the "pack out what you packed in rule", leave no mess, after all, it's trust land. They assured me they would. On my way out, I stopped to see if they policed the area, they hadn't. Sad I did clean the area up as I don't want to see "no hunting" signs posted on this land. So, why does one buy an AK-47? I don't know anyone using them for hunting, just target practice.
Keep it coming...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
bkthomas...Most of us have gone to firing ranges and had to put up with the seudo-military AK-47 blow-hearts. Too many of them seem to collect in one place and disrupt the whole range by splattering others with flying shell cases fired in rapid fire. Even on ranges that have rules against that. Now maybe, just maybe, you and your group are different. Please note that at the begining of this I said "seudo-military"...Also note that I spent 22 years in the military...No offence intended here. Just stating what I have seen and a lot of it even on public free ranges and along with the junk that they bring to shoot up and leave behind their shell casings that I amd many others spend weekends volinteering to clean up and not a one of them are there to help. Nothing I like better then to go skiing down a concrete deck on a field of steel cases...

I'm very much aware that we on the other side have a few bad apples too. And I work hard to convince them of their contrary ways. I will STILL defend your right to own these rifles though...

Gidday BK T, and welcome.

I'm very solidly with Bushy on this mate. It is no different over here in Australia. The "would be if they could be"s and the "wannabe"s always seem to have a gun safe full of ex military firearms. Now that the ownership of semi auto rifles is banned over here the problem has all but ceased to exist, but before that it was exactly as Bushy describes. Oh yeah, and like Bushy, I am a veteran of 26 years in the aussie Infantry.

I have to agree with you about the reliability of the AK47, although we got mainly the Chinese version....you know the one....the gun made by the people, for the people, to shoot the people Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
bkthomas
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

I on the same page with you guys. I just hate how the few bad apples give the rest of us a bad rep.

My coworker was out in California a few months back and he actually got a ticket for not picking up his brass. When he returned to work complaining about it, I told him he got what he deserved and hopefully he learned a valuable lesson.

No that I reside in Idaho, gun laws are less restrictive and you can get anything you lawfully need or want. More gun stores in this state than gas stations. The way I like it.
george20042007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Oh yeah, and like Bushy, I am a veteran of 26 years in the aussie Infantry.

I didn't know Bushy was in the aussie Infantry. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I spent 21 years in the USAF. Now, I've been out longer than I was in.
Keep it coming...
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ak-47 whats your thoughts ? Reply with quote

Almost been out as long as I was in...

I'm with you bkthomas...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 3