Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Nickle Brass
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

Howdy. Has anybody reloaded nickle brass. Do you have to do anything different with it compared to regular brass i thought i might try some its perrty Smile Thanx

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
calsibley

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

Hello Joe,

I give nickel cases a wide berth. I don't think it's as pliable as brass. Yeah, you're right, it is pretty but has been known to scratch hell out of the insides of your reloading dies. The most difficulty I've encountered is when bevelling the case necks before seating bullets. It will dull the bevelling tool in short order. I recently had to send two of them back to RCBS for re-sharpening because I had used them on nicekel brass, and they dulled my bevelling tools badly. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Blaine

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

I agree with Cal, I will never fool with nickle brass again. I was preparing them in the usual way and while turning the necks, they ruined my cutter screw. They did get turned, but afterward they weren't so "purty" anymore anyway (cut most of the nickle off one side of the necks). I've got enough brass without using them.

Blaine

Flint54

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

I have adn still use Nickle Plated Brass but I only use it for "Special" Loads. Due to the nature of the plated cases they are hard on any cutting tools, look terrible if you outside turn your necks and if for any reason a small piece of the plating comes off your dies will provide the remainder of all your cases with a reminder that you used plated brass.
Big Scratches! Crying or Very sad Mad
I use the plated cases for my hunting ammo in some of my Contender loads and only with one brand & weight of bullet so I can tell at a glance the proper ammo has been packed for the trip. That's my use of Plated brass, P.S. Ensure that your Plated brass is squeeky clean prior to any loading. Flint54
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

Maybe i will stick to the regular brass thanx for the tips

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
MOX-CT
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

I have used Nickel Brass in my .300 wby mag. All I did was neck size and load. I think the nickel finish with some lube on it is more slippery in the dies. Next time I will try a full resize and trim/bevel. Very Happy

Coalition of CT Sportsmen member
Northeast Big Buck Member
Buckmaster Member
gunman
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

The only cases I've ever got stuck in my dies were nickel. I don't know about anyone else but I ended up using more lube than normal. Just was not that crazy about them.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

If you use leather loops on your belt for rifle or revolver shells you might want to load Nickle plated brass. If you are out in the eliments for any length of time you might appreciate plated brass.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

Nickel Brass...Looks pretty, but, in rifle calibers problem #1 is inside the neck, very Rough, so the bullets get scraped up inside the neck.
Bench shooters don't use nickel brass.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

I have a selection of Speer nickle plated .30-06 cases that I use in inclement weather or long stays in the mountains. Never noticed any roughness or burring in the mouth of these cases. Of course I have used a camphuring tool in them when I first got them. Little magnum you might try the same thing. The nickled brass in no different then regular brass cases except they may not last as long, but if you have to keep them in leather for any time at all you better keep a few around. I have some Remington-Peters nickle plated brass that I bought in 1966 when I bought my .357 magnum Colt SAA that I am still using to this day. Granted that out of about 600 cases I only have around 150 left of that group, but I have not seen that much difference in life span between brass or nickled brass. At least not much...

LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

Bushmaster...I will disagree that Nickel Brass is the same as brass. Nickel brass is plated brass. In rifle calibers I have used both Federal & Remmington Nickel brass with the same result, that after sizing and trimming, inside the case neck was not smooth as I would like, At first I thought it was my case trimmer or my die's. I will still load some Nickel brass, only because I have some, I just don't recommend the brass for top accuracy reloading.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickle Brass Reply with quote

I really don't understand your problem with nickle plated brass or everyone elses for that matter. I also have some Federal nickle plated brass and they have no burrs in them and they shoot well. I have loaded both the Speer and the Federals several times. Granted...They may not have as long of a life as plain brass, but they are handy for those bad weather hunts and long term in leather loops. I'm a bit old fasioned when it comes to my belts and other items that they have replaced with synthetics. I much prefer Leather goods. Cartridge belts, cartridge holders, holsters, Head stalls, reigns, saddle bags and saddles. As long as I use leather I will keep nickled brass handy for those ocassions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1