Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Where to aim?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Where to aim? Reply with quote

I feel a bit silly.
I have been hunting/shooting for about 7 years now. And every one of those "hunts" is self tought. I have no, so to speak, teacher in the game. And all my knowledge so far were read out of books, magazine or the web.

I can stalk my target up to about 25 meters (about 27 yeards I think) repeatedly in a bushy locations. And I could regularly hit a target the size of a cigarette box at 100 meters with my ruger 77mkII - .308WIN.

I generally aims to the center of the quarry's chest. I certainly do not feel confident enough to shood at their head (it is small and moves a lot). Be it goats pigs, or deer. Some time they drops right a way, some time they runs away and I have to chase after them with great difficulty to place a mercy shot at their head when holding my muzzle againsts the skull.

Now, having established my background, I have a few questions.
1. Where is considered the right aiming area for a four legged animal if they have their buttock facing you square on?

2. Where to aim if they are squarely facing you with their head on the way?

3. Is it true that ultra slow caliber like the .300 whisper would kill better than a fast 308 win? If it is, could I load my 308 to be ultra slow as well? would it bother the accuracy? or would it be dangeorous (due to the large empty space in the cartridge shell)?

4. why does the sun rises from the East?

Thank you in advance.

Gelan.
mc223

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

#1 Don't
#2 Head shot or Don't
#3 That would probably be decided by the choice of bullet.
#4 Hmm?

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
I feel a bit silly.
I have been hunting/shooting for about 7 years now. And every one of those "hunts" is self tought. I have no, so to speak, teacher in the game. And all my knowledge so far were read out of books, magazine or the web.

I can stalk my target up to about 25 meters (about 27 yeards I think) repeatedly in a bushy locations. And I could regularly hit a target the size of a cigarette box at 100 meters with my ruger 77mkII - .308WIN.

I generally aims to the center of the quarry's chest. I certainly do not feel confident enough to shood at their head (it is small and moves a lot). Be it goats pigs, or deer. Some time they drops right a way, some time they runs away and I have to chase after them with great difficulty to place a mercy shot at their head when holding my muzzle againsts the skull.

1. Where is considered the right aiming area for a four legged animal if they have their buttock facing you square on?

3. Is it true that ultra slow caliber like the .300 whisper would kill better than a fast 308 win? If it is, could I load my 308 to be ultra slow as well? would it bother the accuracy? or would it be dangeorous (due to the large empty space in the cartridge shell)?

Thank you in advance.

Gelan.

I smell something wrong here................ !

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Howdy gelandangan, Welcome to the forums hope you enjoy your stay Very Happy

Your questions of shotplacement are easily answered with the diagram on thei first page of this site: www.shotplacement.com/

As for ultra slow bullets you face many problems such as the primer pushing the bullet slightly forward before the powder burns etc causing the bullet to act as a obstruction when the powder goes off. Or you can have a bullet half way through the barrel because there wasnt enough powder to push it out. Also dangrous. Sad

And as for the Sun well it rises from the East because the Earth spins counter clockwise (looking down towards the North Pole from space), unless ofcourse your from down under and then its spinning (compared to the South pole) clockwise Very Happy

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
I feel a bit silly.

Thank you in advance.

Gelan.
Confused
gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Hi all.. thank you for the QUICK replys.

Specially to Dimitri. Your reference to shotplacement.com is the best reference I gets to date.

I sometime gone out hunting with friends, they have done hunting for years too.. but all city slickers who went to bush a couple times a year are usually yahoos, who rely on caliber size or animal being shot at having a heart attack due to the loudness of the bang. NOT placement of the shot.

Granted, this is the first time I have ever found courage and admitted that I don't know what to aim for (I have often boasted that I am a mighty hunter who know all the lore of the jungle).

Once again thanks.

1895ss what is wrong with my question?
george20042007 ditto?

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
george20042007

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
Hi all.. thank you for the QUICK replys.

Specially to Dimitri. Your reference to shotplacement.com is the best reference I gets to date.

I sometime gone out hunting with friends, they have done hunting for years too.. but all city slickers who went to bush a couple times a year are usually yahoos, who rely on caliber size or animal being shot at having a heart attack due to the loudness of the bang. NOT placement of the shot.

Granted, this is the first time I have ever found courage and admitted that I don't know what to aim for (I have often boasted that I am a mighty hunter who know all the lore of the jungle).

Once again thanks.

1895ss what is wrong with my question?
george20042007 ditto?
To tell you the truth gelandangan, I didn't know for sure if your input was on the serious side. Now & then I've seen some who just spoof us. Forgive me for thinking that way about you and welcome to the forum.

Most of the time I aim for the front shoulder (when possible) as the animal won't get to far after. I've made it a point to wait out the animal until I can get a bead on his/her shoulder, it's part of my rules when it comes to hunting educate. I've done well with that shot over the years & haven't lost an animal yet that I hit.

Good luck &
Keep it coming...
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
:Your questions of shotplacement are easily answered with the diagram on thei first page of this site: www.shotplacement.com/

IMO... *my opinion* :), that top center picture on that website is wrong. You need to shoot through that front leg to get into the heart. Shooting where they show will clip a lung then exit through the diaphram... a poor hit. If you have enough gun put'er right through that front leg ... if not you better wait on the shot.

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Gelandangan,

Glad to be of help. We are a bunch of good folks here it was just all sudden everything you said I think for alot of us. Smile

Enjoy the forums Cheers

Dallan,

Thanks for that tid bit of information I didn't know that, Very Happy To be honest I went hunting for deer last fall the first time and didnt manage to get one. Sad There is always this year though Very Happy

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Or just in front of the right shoulder to the left of center. Should take the heart and one lung. That would be my shot.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Bust lungs, pop a heart......shoot for an optimum blood trail as a fail safe....

Any deer or pig blowin' blood out the nose and mouth is gonna be easy to find and close......

Optimum shot placement is dictated by your shooting ability within a self determined limit of range.......that comes from practice.

Stance of the animal in this scenario is best broad side or quartering away.

Up hill or down hill also makes a difference.......

My advice on the non dangerous medium size game you suggested such as deer ect., is to shoot for the opposite side lung, hopefully passing thru the on side lung in the process and making soup of the boiler room.......

To get to that understanding you must know by heart the anatomy of the game you want to kill........

Re: the Texas Heart Shot........I don't think it a wise thing................
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

I immediately cancelled a magazine subscription where they advocated the "Texas heart shot" as a good shot when the animal is facing directly away.

-DallanC
gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Again, I thank all the replys. I regret my attempt of humour in form of the last question on my post were not accepted well.

On to the show...

It seems that the majority idea is to take out the lung with general chest shot.
I admit that it will be very hard for an animal with the lung shot out to run far. But, would this not create a very tense animal, thus make the meat less tender?
I did try a few head shot and general result is the animal dead with a lot of trashing about and kicking... it is almost like the brain sends command to run before it is dead, and the body obey the command without knowing that it is dead..
The only few shot that drops the animal right away are done to the chest area. Due to the fact that my main method of collecting meat is the "gutless" method, I do not know what vital part I hit.

Also, all this talk about following the blood trail of lung shot animals, I must admit that it is very seldom for me to be able to see the blood in the bush.. yeah here and there, sometimes it spotches and drops, but to try to find it would be a great time waster for me. I generally just follows the last direction of the animal's heading and most of the time I find them within 100 - 200 meters or so. Shamefully, I did lost a few in my years of hunting, and they always hounds me just before I place another shot to similar animal.. It is not a good feeling I asure you.

george20042007 - No offence taken.. just wondering Smile It reckond the reason I ask the last question is because I did feel silly to aks all the previous questions. Aint hunting came as instinc to us red blooded fellas? Aint we supposed to know how to kill with our bare teeth? Aint we supposed to be in the top of the food chain?

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
1895ss

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Ooooops, like george I thought something was up with your post. Sorry. Embarassed There is lot's of good advice above. Smile

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Dallan,

What magazine what that ?? Shocked

gelandangan,

Humour is good, Read the Spam-O-Rama lots of humor there. Just your a first time poster talking about a serious subject for all (clean humane kills) hense the responce. Smile

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 7