Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Well, I went and done it!
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillPa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

For over 20 years I haven't owned a 30/06. Matter of fact, I didn't own a standard caliber big game rifle at all, everything being Wildcats or an improved something or other.
I stopped the one of the local toy stores today looking for some 10ga. Hevi-Shot and as usual,checked out the used rack and there it was, a Savage 110 in '06 with a Trashco 3x9 and Leupold mounts/rings for $249. I grabbed the assistant manager Larry ,knocked him to the floor and put a choke hold on him for info on the rifle and of course, a better price. Now I'm 6' 252 and poor Larry is 5' 2" 'bout 150, so he relented rather quickly. Seems a fellow bought the rifle at Wally World, fired less than a box of factory ammo and said it kicked too hard. Larry (between gasps for air) told me what they paid and what I could have it for. We agreed on a price after a brief discussion, his face turning blue and his eyes kind bugg'n out. Just to tell what a nice guy Larry is, he threw in a powder funnel set for free just before I removed my forearm from his throat. I started to mention something about a set of dies but he had to leave in a hurry and asked another clerk to do the paper work and check me out. He was kinda the quiet type though, never saying thanks or hurry back as I left with my prize. The other customers must have beem impressed with my negotiating skills and watched silently, obviously trying to pickup some finer points of making a deal.

So now I have a use for the '06 brass I've been saving.

Bill
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

Congrats Bill on the new gun. I'm only 5'7 i dont think your negotiating methods would work to well for me Smile

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
longwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

BillPa,

Good for you, now you have a perfect platform to make an other wildcat or improved something ot other. I think you will be pleased with the Savage. I spent most of my formative years on eastern PA. I shot my first deer with a 30-06 in Pike County.

I hope the scope works out well for you. I've had some problems with tasco optics.

Aren't toy store great!

longwalker
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: You did well! Reply with quote

The Savage 110 in .30-06 is always a good choice. All the best...
Gil

BillPa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

Nooooooo Longwalker ... Its gonna forever stay a '06. Well, mabye a 270, or a ...... LOL
I always have a reason for building or buying a firearm,this being a practical one. Although it never happened, but what if I went hunt'n and forgot ammo? I've looked and never found 30-338,270-08AI or 280AI ammo at Kmart so the obvious thing to do was to have something that ammo was available most anywhere just in case. Another plus is since I got the thing cheap, if one of the other guys have problems with a rifle, it will make a good loaner.
At this pont, I've trued the lugs,boltface and swapped the trigger out with one from a 10 set to 3 lbs. Other than that its staying as is, tupperware stock,et al.
I might put one of the 3x9 'polds on it sometime.

Later,
Bill
Blaine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

That's a real good buy, Bill. I'm sure you'll have a good rifle there. I have it's brother in 270 (LH). ..........

Blaine

grimel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

BillPa wrote:
Nooooooo Longwalker ... Its gonna forever stay a '06. Well, mabye a 270, or a ...... LOL
Bill

Barrel wrench, go/no go guages, and barrels. Knock yourself out swapping barrels to new calibers.

I think I have a spare 30-06 savage factory barrel floating around here somewhere.

ADD:

Buy an aftermarket stock, the factory wood 110 stock has too much drop (my 7mm-08 kicked worse than my 7mm RemMag) and beats your jaw hard for caliber.

Lindy Cooper Wisdom

BillPa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

Ok, I shot the thing. Results.....
First the Trashco scope lived up to its reputation. My vision was less blury after leavn'n a bar a 2:00 AM so I gave it a proper burial with all the nessessary respect for one of its quality.....The shop trash can.
Second, the nit wit that put the mounts on needs to find another line of work. All the screw are to be tight and shouldn't bottom out if I recall. So, before installing the 'pold 3x9, I stuck on a set of Leupold bases, bedded them and lapped the rings. Things looked better right away, even without my glasses! The stock is a bit short for me, so 1" pad is in the future to gain another 1/2" LOP.
Threw a quick load of 59-H4350 with a 150 Sierra together and to the range. A quick bore sight and 3 shots at 50, I moved to 100. I fired 2 5 shot groups , both under an inch. Not too bad for a beater rifle and just toss'n some ammo together.
All in all, I think it will do the job intended. Cheap, light and reasonbly accurate for the Pa. deer woods.
Now its off the the club...I need to fireform some 270-08AI Lapua brass!!!

Bill
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I went and done it! Reply with quote

Howdy Bill sounds like you did just fine Smile

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1