· Views: 296293
  · Votes: 1302
  · Comments: 85

Support our Advertisers

Browning T-Bolt Trigger
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Browning T-Bolt Trigger Reply with quote

Now that I'm officially retired, I have time to work on projects that have been waiting in the shadows for years (including finally finishing re-stocking that '03 Springfield!) between stints at items on Mama's list. One of the things I have been anxious to tackle was the trigger on my Browning T-Bolt .22 that I bought last year. Out of the box I fell in love with everything about it...except the trigger pull. Even though there is an Allen-screw adjustment of sorts, trigger pull could only be reduced to 3.5 pounds. At least for me, this is far too heavy for accuracy. Adding to the problem was that there are absolutely no after-market triggers available, so that option was off the table. I found a posting on another forum that described in detail a method of spring adjustment and contact surface polishing that sounded like it would work but had to wait until I could devote time to it.

Following the poster's description (and knowing full well that I was voiding Browning's warranty in the process) I was only able to reduce pull weight by .5 pounds...still too heavy. Upon examining the various spring relationships, I decided to go a bit further. I reformed the actual trigger spring for much less tension, making the adjustment screw far more usable to increase tension as needed. The result is a crisp trigger pull of 1 pound 14 ounces - far more like what I wanted.

The original poster was very careful to maintain enough tension on the bolt stop to keep the bolt from falling out of the gun if it is stored with the safety "ON" and the bolt left open. This delicate balance in spring tension relationships severely limited his success. Since I always store my rifles with the actions open without setting the safety, I don't really understand the value of this since I can't think of a really good argument for having the safety on with the bolt open. Maybe I'm missing something. Regardless, my rifle now securely retains the bolt with the safety "OFF" and still locks the trigger when the safety is applied. Applying the safety allows the removal of the bolt for cleaning without the frustration of seeming to need three hands to manipulate the stop and bolt while gripping the rifle.

Range work produced 10-shot groups at 50 yards with Federal Champion ammunition under .5" - an improvement of perhaps .3" on average. Once I get a chance to really wring it out for safety or other bugs that may pop up, I will try to post more for anyone who is interested along with pictures of the process and the parts involved.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Browning T-Bolt Trigger Reply with quote

I' would be interested in your process for success. why not store your rifles with the bolt closed and hammer/pin released so as not to have the spring stored in compression?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Browning T-Bolt Trigger Reply with quote

Probably best way. Always got in the habit of storing them with the bolt open as a verification that they were empty (even though all are treated as though loaded no matter what) and to keep any oils and such from working into bolt crevices. Just a habit that really doesn't need to be. Good suggestion.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Browning T-Bolt Trigger Reply with quote

here in Kiwiland we have to store rifles and bolts seperately, I "burgler proof" my bolts by turning/releasing the firing spring tension.I had issues with .223 not firing pin not striking hard enough that started this habit. works a treat.

MacD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Browning T-Bolt Trigger Reply with quote

Adjusting a trigger by polishing or stoning is not something just anyone can accomplish without unsafe results. Congrats on what appears to be a job done right. 1.5 pounds is a bit light for my mittens. I once had a shot with a set trigger arrangement. Let of was on ounces and I couldn't even reposition my aim without the darn thing firing.

SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Browning T-Bolt Trigger Reply with quote

None of my varmint rifles have triggers heavier than two pounds. My .17 Remington is only ten ounces, but I am used to it. All of my hunting rifles have pulls of two and a half to three pounds since gloves are probably involved when in actual use. I have worked on my own triggers for over forty years without issue, but they all have to undergo strenuous testing before I trust them for safety. You are right that one should only attempt working on one if they know what they are doing. Trust me, in the early days I had a few that went wrong before I got the hang of it! Never trusting one until proved safe is the key.

SSL
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1