· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

44 mag
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pitt55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: 44 mag Reply with quote

Guys ?I am thinking of getting a 44 mag Ruger super blackhawk. Was looking at the hunter version with the 7 1/2" barrel. I have never owned a handgun but have shot the 44 once before. Was hoping for opinions of my choice or suggestions on something else.
Don

Pitt55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

I think I should take typing class

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

That's kind of a big gun to start with but a good choice for a hunting handgun. Personally I'd start learning to shoot handguns with a .22 rim fire. If you like the Blackhawk maybe get a Ruger Single Six to learn on.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
PaulS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

The Super Blackhawk from Ruger is a fine gun but for hunting I am partial to double action triggers. You can still use single action for that first shot but if you need a backup shot it is easier to just pull the trigger.
The Redhawk is available as is the Super Redhawk. You can even get bigger calibers than the 44 mag.

You can always load down or use the 44 Special ammo to start with and then work your way up to the magnum loads - especially if you reload.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Tremblay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

Don't get a weapon bigger than you can handle.

Never argue with a stupid person ,cause they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Mark Twwain
Pitt55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

I've shot the 44 before and had no problem with recoil. I live in Canada and we can't hunt with a handgun. I think the single action will be more accurate. I was more concerned with accuracy and the Ruger for reliability. Is the single action the best for range use? Is there a difference in the trigger pull between a SA and a DA?

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

about 10 pounds... True double action you are cocking the hammer with the trigger.

I have a 6" 44 mag Smith& wesson 629 with a red dot scope on it. I do not try to shoot tiny groups with it as I use it hunting deer but the 240 gr JSP will hold a 5" paper plate out to 100+ yards. I hold the red dot in the middle and a bullet hole appears on the plate! It is plenty accurate.With better sights I am sure it would even be more impressive.

in order to be an accomplished pistiol shooter you need to practice... alot.. the costr and recoil of full house .44 mag loads is not where you want to learn to shoot a hand gun. take Pauls advice and load 44 spl to practice with.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
That's kind of a big gun to start with but a good choice for a hunting handgun. Personally I'd start learning to shoot handguns with a .22 rim fire. If you like the Blackhawk maybe get a Ruger Single Six to learn on.

I love my .22LR pistol... my boy loves to shoot it now too. I'd also recommend that, but the downside is ammo. Dunno how it is outside my state but around here 22LR is the rarest of all ammo currently. Its selling for around $60-80 a brick if it ever does get in stock.

Crazy!

-DallanC
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

Pitt55 wrote:
think the single action will be more accurate.

What is it about a single action that makes you think it will be more accurate than a double action? It won't be.
Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

My first handgun was a S&W Mod. 29 with an 8 3/8" barrel, Leupold rings and a Leupold EER 4x. I still have that revolver and the only thing I regret is that I didn't took the 2x optics instead of the 4x. I now often put a red dot on what makes it a very nice tool giving lots of fun. The 4x serves better on a Buckmark Varmint or Silhouet or even on the Target.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

A good, well-tuned, double-action revolver fired in single-action mode is usually every bit as accurate as a single-action revolver. Some feel that the double action is a bit more awkward to hold due to its more bulky profile and others prefer the feel. It is all a matter of taste. Any of the Rugers mentioned are well built and safe with any reasonable loads. If anything, Rugers have a tendency to be a bit "over-engineered" when it comes to strength and safety. As to barrel length, the 7.5" always was the most traditional of the Ruger offerings, but for ease of carry in the field and balance I much prefer the 5.5" offerings in .44 Magnum. It offers a nice balance between convenience and controlability. Anything much shorter delivers too much recoil movement for many people.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

The quickest way to develop an accuracy (an enjoyment) destroying flinch is to start off with too much gun, a gun that will bellow and bite back when you drop the hammer.

As a couple of the other guys said...go to a .22 rimfire pistol first...Ruger make an awesome little semi auto, Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3, that will give you heaps of enjoyment, but more importantly teach you the basics of pistol shooting. By all means, get a .44 Mag, but don't use it constantly. Learn and practice on the .22 and put a few shots through the .44 for a buzz, at least until you have the basics down pat.

As for the difference between DA and SA...it all comes down to personal choice, but IMO the DA is more versatile and will do the same job as a SA.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

My first roller was a SBH .44m. But as said feeding a steady diet of full-house loads w/o a lot of trigger time can in some cases bring on a flinch, and/or a worn out gun. The SBH with .44spl is a treat to shoot. Or, get any .44m that tickles yer fancy and a smaller caliber pistol for plinking/practice. I'm very partial to the 44m. If ya cannot do it with one of the 10,000 loads there is for it then get a rifle. SA/DA? 99% of shooters cannot shoot DA worth beans, so they end up paying a lot more for a gun they use single action. Food for thought there. Here's one of mine, a full custom job, shoots like a pussy cat:

picture023.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.09 KB
 Viewed:  9392 Time(s)

picture023.jpg

stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

Here's another one. Alaskan .44m. Tirgger sweetened WAY up all by itself (a lot of guns do that so don't be in a hurry to see the Smith- use it, clean it, etc). This trigger is really good. On the indoor 60' range using 23+/-gr of H110 and a 240gr JHP you had better have your target more than 5y out cuz the fireball is awesome. Putting 6 in a pie plate at 7y as fast as you can is a hoot and everyone stops shooting to see what the he** just happened. Then the range master comes over...... Laughing

picture001111.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.55 KB
 Viewed:  9384 Time(s)

picture001111.jpg

chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 mag Reply with quote

Get what appeals to you and feels good in your hands !!!

The biggest problem I've seen with large revolvers is how it balances in the hands of the shooter. If you find yourself fighting a heavy muzzle and can't hold point of aim to a reasonable degree it may not be the gun for you.

I do believe in learning the basics of how to shoot a handgun with something that's light on recoil. I however firmly believe in practice time with the gun you intend to use for whatever specific purpose you have.

Once you learn the basics I suggest the use of TrailBoss to create some light loads with lead as a practice load. Eventually you do need to practice with what you intend to hunt with. Light practice loads will have a different impulse and recoil factor.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2