Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Fishing ....
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Nope I like some mix in my whiskey or rum or whatever. Non of this straight up stuff, except amoretto on the rocks is great.

ripper007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

I have a hard time drinking anything ice cold.

I like wildTurkey 101 straight up room temp.

I do miss catching catfish back home in texas. to me cat fish is good eating. I also like small and large mouth bass.

delboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Small mouth - big mouth, who cares? I wanna EAT it - NOT french kiss it! Smile

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Delboy... And I thought.......?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

delboy wrote:
Well, you shouldn't go taking minors out in that kind of weather Vince. 17" of water can't be much fun when you are only 2' tall anyway! As to all this ice fishing stuff - doesn't the ice scrape all the batter off the fish when you drag them out?
Being serious for a minute Vince - I would have thought that Oz had greater temperature extremes than that. Last year we were hitting 100 degrees f and in the last week or two it has been down to 30f. I always think of Oz as being roasting! Probably why you can stand that godawful 'beer' of yours! (when I refer to beer I mean - and pardon my language - Fosters or XXXX. I don't mean decent brews like Swan)
Is it true that Castlemain call their drink XXXX because nobody could spell 'beer'? Smile

Gidday Delby, mate, Australia's climate ranges from full tropical in the North to bloody freezing in the South, in fact it is not unheard of for our southern most State to get snow on Christmas Day. Our snowfields are pretty big and are magnificent.

All you guys who pollute their fine spirits with ice, water or lolly water need rootin', shootin' and electrocutin' !! The only way to drink fine spirits is the way the maker, by that I mean the guy that wrote the recipe, intended it....straight. That way you get the true taste of the spirit. The only spirits I mix are the cheap and nasty variety intended for drinking, not sipping.

ripper007 wrote:
I do miss catching catfish back home in texas. to me cat fish is good eating.

Catfish, Yuck I hate the damn things. I catch far too many of them. They are slimy and the meat is horrible. When I catch one I drape its head over the gunwhale of the boat and keep pounding until the head is hamburger and the hook falls out. I figure I've hit it enough then. Got spiked in the hand by one and it cost me a day in hospital. Worst pain I've ever experienced.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

This is the full description of the Eel Tailed Catfish

Eel-tailed catfish can reach up to 7kg (90cm). They live for as long as 22 years and reach sexual maturity at 5 years of age. At maturity they are around 49cm in length. Eel-tailed catfish have a distinctive eel-like tail, scaleless skin and touch-sensitive ‘whiskers’ around their fleshy mouth. They use their whiskers to locate food organisms. The whiskers have no stinging ability. Their dorsal and pectoral fins have strong venomous spines.

Vince

ripper007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

the catfish I am talking about are
channel cats
blue cats
yellow cats
and mudd cats.

these catfish are what I use to catch and eat back in Texas rivers and lakes.

I am guessing that the catfish your talking about must taste very bad ? I have never heard of a Eel tailed catfish.

the catfish I have caught and eaten taste very good. but they are a little slimy and do have some good spike fins on them. and yes it does hurt when stuck by them.

here is a link to a few catfish that are around the erea that I use to catch.

myfwc.com/fishing/Fish...tfish.html

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Quote::
The only way to drink fine spirits is the way the maker, by that I mean the guy that wrote the recipe, intended it....straight.

Cheers Vince Cheers

Catfish here alot of fishermen avoid. I dont know why they got a bad reputation. Our ministry of natural resources issues a "Guide to Eating Ontario Sportfish" and they catch alot of fish from pretty much any lake or river you can think of and they do tests to see how much posions are in them and they arnt any worse the other fish in the river. Cool

I dont normally fish where there are many of them (they are in the larger rivers and lakes and are abit more crowded so I avoid it there most of the time) but if I catch one I cook it with the aluminum foil method in the oven Very Happy

Dimitri

delboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Hey Vince........... I mentioned earlier that I never polluted my booze with anything, the only thing I put in scotch is more scotch. I like mine cold and as such, keep it in the fridge. I have never drunk water since I found out that fish make love in it! Alcohol is for drinking - water is for washing. Smile

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

ripper007 wrote:
the catfish I am talking about are
channel cats
blue cats
yellow cats
and mudd cats.

I am guessing that the catfish your talking about must taste very bad ? I have never heard of a Eel tailed catfish.

the catfish I have caught and eaten taste very good. but they are a little slimy and do have some good spike fins on them. and yes it does hurt when stuck by them.

Gidday Ripper, fair call mate. Your catfish don't even closely resemble the ones I encounter. I notice on the link that they make no mention of the spikes being venomous. The Dr who treated me after I was spiked contemplated giving me Stonefish antivenene because the catfish venom is closely related to the Stonefish and Stingray venom. These buggers are nasty. I even had trouble breathing and was not a well guy. Morphine wasn't even very effective dulling the pain.....but it was welcome. Smile The only thing that eased the pain right down was hot water.....as hot as I could stand without being burnt. Take your hand out and the pain was instantaneous.

I know that there are some people over here who do eat our catfish, but they ain't for me. My Dad likens them to European Carp, they can be eaten, but you need to be pretty desperate. Although if you are hungry enough you'd eat s**t if it was cooked properly.

The Texan catfish looks like it would be a lot of fun on the line. Any 50lb fish is a good fight. I enjoy the fight as much as the feed when I get a fish home.

delboy wrote:
Hey Vince........... I mentioned earlier that I never polluted my booze with anything, the only thing I put in scotch is more scotch.

Delby, I proud of ya son.......I'm a piper and agree 1000%. The only thing to mix with scotch is more scotch....of the same type of course. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers Vince

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad
Quote::
My Dad likens them to European Carp, they can be eaten, but you need to be pretty desperate.

Carp is one of the only fish I hate. Mad Stupid idiots release live ones into rivers and lakes up here and they kill everything. Mad

This summer I'm making it my misson to go fishing for these things and do exactly what the Ministry of Natural Resources up here says is ok (A conservation officer first told me this) .... "Catch tons of them if you want its fine and just dump them on the side of the road". Very Happy

Its gonna be a whole lot of fishing for me Very Happy If only I didnt have summer classes I'd be there 7 days a week Very Happy

Thouse stupid fish ruined my fishing last summer. Mad I've got to do something dont I ?? Evil or Very Mad

Dimitri

moose2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

For sure carp can upset a fishery and I don't like it when that happens. On the other side of the coin, I find them fun to catch, and tasty when properly prepared in a smoker. I really didn't want to say smoked, for some reason. Just my opinion--tr

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Vince ever heard of the Gloper ?? Watching the Fishing TV channel and they are fishing in Austrialia for it. They taste any good ?? Confused

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Vince ever heard of the Gloper ?? Watching the Fishing TV channel and they are fishing in Austrialia for it. They taste any good ?? Confused

Dimitri

G'Day Dimitri. I assume that you mean Groper mate. They are a damn fine eating fish so long as they aren't to big. Depending on the type of Groper they can get huge.

Queensland Groper

Blue Groper

For eating I prefer the juvenile although a nice Blue Groper is also good on the plate so long as he isn't too big.

At 2.7m and 400kg a big Queensland Groper wouldn't be much good for eating, although he is big enough to eat a man if he wished, but the are a really docile fish. Divers love swimming with them.

Cheers, Vince

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing .... Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Thouse get big. The ones on the show were only a foot to a foot and a half tops. Shocked

So the bigger ones don't eat as well ?? Thats interesting Smile

I think it was the blue ones they were fishing on the show. Not too sure though failing memory Sad

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 4 of 6