· Views: 824076
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Windage and Elevation Caps
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

Can ANYONE tell me how to find replacement scope caps?

Question #1: Are they all standard size and thread? Cuz, Pentax sells em for sure but I have a Simmons.

Question #2: Anyone got a dead Simmons scope they will sell me the caps off of? I have a ProHunter Master Series 6x42

Didn't know it would be so hard to find these. I constantly loose these things, you would think the scope manufacturers would have them readily available.
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

Stoney point makes a target knob that fits Tasco, Simmons and Sightron scopes..........makes me think them 3 have the same thread !!!

You probably got a better chance at finding someone with a dead Tasco. Shocked

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

I hear ya on the dead Tasco. I chunked a number of them myself (ah...the beginning of the disposable scope era Smile )

If you think they will fit Chambered, I'll take any cap from these three. I don't want target knobs or would order from Stoney Point. I didn't know they made them so thanks for that info.

This scope is on my Fireball until I can fund a FX3 for it. Since it is my calling rifle and everything is close in and fast, I have no use for target knobs which would tend to get caught up in clothing, limbs, and vines.
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

wtf Don't you dare put anything associated with Tasco anywhere near that Fireball.........you'll ruin it !!!

Didn't think ya wanted the knobs.......just used that to show they might work.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
:wtf: Don't you dare put anything associated with Tasco anywhere near that Fireball.........you'll ruin it !!!

Haha Haha Haha
tcknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

I'm a little desperate here since I hear da coyotes a yowling and can't take the scope out in the rain. Very Happy
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Stoney point makes a target knob that fits Tasco, Simmons and Sightron scopes..........makes me think them 3 have the same thread !!!

You probably got a better chance at finding someone with a dead Tasco. Shocked

Stoney Point no longer makes them. I bought a couple close out caps for Leupold scopes last year. I do remember Leupold and Simmons are different threads.

You can rarely find some on ebay though... but its hit or miss.

-DallanC
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

Ok so I just went and looked over the box my Target caps came in. It states they made 3 types:

KL: Leupold
KT: Tasco/Simmons/Sightron
KB: Burris

I would assume those are the 3 different thread types / sizes. Hope this helps!

-DallanC
slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Don't you dare put anything associated with Tasco anywhere near that Fireball.........you'll ruin it !!!

Be nice now chambered, my first high-power scope was a Tasco 3-9. It never missed in its 45 years of service. Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

our trade me sight often has dead scope auctions from gunsmiths. guess they come in on guns having a new scope fitted. give your local lads a ring Im sure they will have a few hanging about.

tcknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
Ok so I just went and looked over the box my Target caps came in. It states they made 3 types:

KL: Leupold
KT: Tasco/Simmons/Sightron
KB: Burris

I would assume those are the 3 different thread types / sizes. Hope this helps!

-DallanC

Thanks Dallan, it does.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Be nice now chambered, my first high-power scope was a Tasco 3-9. It never missed in its 45 years of service. Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to?

You are so right...they don't. I thankfully have several of the original Tasco Target/Silhouhette scopes in various power configurations and a couple of the "Pro" series handgun scopes that are nearly bullet-proof. Sadly, today's offerings don't measure up.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

i might have a couple in my junk drawer I will trade you for the .243 brass. I am out of town right now but will verify tomorrow.

tcknight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

Dawgdad wrote:
i might have a couple in my junk drawer I will trade you for the .243 brass. I am out of town right now but will verify tomorrow.

Works for me. PM me when you get home.
tcknight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage and Elevation Caps Reply with quote

Just a follow up for your information.

As we have discussed Bushnell bought out Simmons. They now own Bushnell, Simmons, and Tasco riflescope lines. When searching the Simmons site, there was no where to order parts or any email address. Switching over to the Bushnell website I found an email address for customer service and contacted them. They answered the very next day and pointed me to a web address to print out an order form to purchase replacement caps along with a number of other items. The form does not list Simmons as a "check this box" option but I was assured that I could use it to order the caps.

Looks like this will be pretty reasonable since the caps are 4 or 5 bucks but they only charge $1.00 shipping. Can't argue with that.

Well they impressed me with their quick response to my question. Now we'll see how they follow through. I'll let you know.

BTW. My nephew had a Simmons 8 Point scope in a drawer and offered the caps off of it. Of course, they would NOT FIT! Mad Crazy; two scopes from the same manufacturer but without interchangeable windage or elevation caps. Who knew.

Last edited by tcknight on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2