Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Best Powder measure
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Well Cabela's didn't have the Redding 3BR in the store so I brought an RCBS home. I'll let you know how it works for me.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
English Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

I have an RCBS Uniflow powder measure that's accurate with ball powder but a pain with stick powders.
For the latter - invariably rifle loads - I use the RCBS Chargemaster scale & dispenser combo. Throws dead on nine times out of ten & never more than a tenth of a grain off.
I've used several Lyman powder measures & found they are less than consistent with Red Dot unless the hopper is topped up far more frequently than should be needed.
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Well, I didn't have much luck with this RCBS. I cleaned as per the instructions and then but some H414 in it and started to throw charges to see how consistent is was. After 40 throws I cleaned it up and placed it back in the box. I ran from 35.8 to 36.9 grains. It never settled in. I need more consistency than that.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Slim, there is some technique involved there too. When using mine I make sure to bump it against the stop at least once on both ends of the stroke. Hard enough to jar any powder loose when charging a case and to "bounce" the powder a bit when it refills. Consistency in the movement is the key.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

gee that bit of advice sounds familiar ??lol

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Slim, there is some technique involved there too. When using mine I make sure to bump it against the stop at least once on both ends of the stroke. Hard enough to jar any powder loose when charging a case and to "bounce" the powder a bit when it refills. Consistency in the movement is the key.

With my Redding Powder Throw, I have three things that I include in my routine when throwing charges.

Firstly I ensure I maintain a minimum of 75% capacity in the hopper...

Secondly I regularly "tap" (whack) the metal side of the thrower body with a 6" length of garden hose to settle the powder, and lastly...

When throwing a charge (like Punkin) I make the lever movement up and down a very positive and firm movement employing a "double tap" at the top to ensure all powder has dropped from the measuring reservoir.

By doing these three things I get consistent throws of powder, although stick powders sometimes cause a slight hangup, which is not a problem really. Bear in mind I always trickle the last .5 gr anyway.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional advise. I was trying to be consistent with my movements though I did not "double tap". Sometimes the pour stroke was harder than others to start which I figure was some balls of powder getting in the way. If I have to trickle in the last half of grain of powder, I'm not sure I'm saving that much time compared to a measuring scoop, expecially for the price of the equipment.

MacD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

It took me awhile to get my technique down. Smartly up till it raps the stop and then a two count and then down and tap the side of the drum several times with my finger. I also have a Bounce sheet wrapped around my powder resevior to reduce static cling. Lee recommends running a couple of full containers through the measure to coat all surfaces with graphite. With all smaller grain powders I can get +/- 0.1 grain with the majority being dead on. I can tell when I throw light most times by the feel of the stroke. It just isn't firm. I also adjust my measure up to the charge and then fiddle around until I think I am in the middle of the setting. I do this only for pistol as the range from starting load to max is often less than a grain. I know that sounds a bit too precise but it is all part of the fun of reloading.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Thanks, MacD. I put the RCBS back in the box until I figure out what is next. I'm thinking I might go over to another buddy's man cave and try his Redding 3BR and see how it does and if I can improve my technique. I would have been doing better with a scoop and a trickler last nigh.

Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Slim, go spend $25 and get the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It will be the best thing you spent $25 on ever. I promise you. Oh forgot, as far as leaking ball powder, the rotor is adjustable, mine has never leaked powder. And I load a lot of 30-30/223 with Win 748 powder.
www.midwayusa.com/prod...er-measure

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

I agree DS, I also have one of the Lee perfect powder measure that has never failed me whatever powder I dumped into the little red hopper.

Slim:

As far as my Hornady LNL powder dispenser, the first time I sent it back was because you could never get any consistency (off as much as 2.0grs) with any powder, when I got it back, it worked great with extruded powders but ball powders were all over the place. I did call and was on the phone with a Hornady tech for almost 45min and he pointed me to a file which I knew about and adjusting the trickling speed on the unit.

After all was said and done that night adjusting the trickling mode, it went to lasting more than 4 minutes no matter what the settings were at, he gave me a return tag to send it back. Now I never used the rcbs powder measure but this Hornady has what they call a "twitcher" power and normal modes and tried both settings and....poopoo.

Good luck on the rcbs, for now my Lee will charge my cases.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Omni, I have a hornady LNL auto powder charge thingie. I love mine. I think it was you who put me on to the adjustability of the unit. I do have to fine tune it a little for ball vs stick powder, but I've had no problems out of mine. If my Lee perfect wasnt spoken for, (co-worker is buying some of my stuff to start reloading) I'd send slim my Lee.

Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Slim, I have a lyman #55 that I got when I first started reloading in high school, circa 1980's. Its yours if you want it. Nothing wrong with it, I just progressed to the Lee perfect then to the hornady LNL auto charge. Its been mounted to my bench for, literally decades, free to you if you want it. Its not black, its the original lyman orange. www.midwayusa.com/prod...er-measure

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

Yup DS, that was just before Christmas last year. I'm sure I got a lemon and when it comes back and if it doesn't work properly again, I'll ask for a refund.

What boggles the mind is how come a cheap Lee powder measure ($20-$40) can out do an expensive electronic measure. Shocked

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Powder measure Reply with quote

DS, your very kind! I sent you an email.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3