Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824033
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Got Dillon 550?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FALPhil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

SwampFox wrote:
Hey Phil,
Has Hornady fixed the sideways primer problem they used to have? The ones from the 80s required the entire machine be taken apart when a primer flipped. That primer, unless you stopped, would also strip a gear or shear a pin.

<snip>

But the star of the bench is the green Rockchucker bought in 1968. It still works like new. The Rockchucker must be the most recommended reloading machine in the world.

Ed

Ed, they fixed it with some of the engineering changes on the Pro-jector, but on the Lock-N-Load, it is a totally revamped approach.

My single stage is a Rock Chucker circa 1977. You are right; I get my best accuracy from it, but I only use it for rifle cartridges.

Chambered221, I get sub 5 SD on my Hornady on an irregular basis and I would say that the average is around 5 in 9mm. In 45ACP, its a little more, around 5.6, IIRC. My buddy usually gets around 16 SD on his 650 setup in 9mm.
chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

FALPhil, Glad to see you've had better luck with Hornady than I.
I have three Apex shotshell reloaders (12, 20, 28 ga. ), should have bought the PW's.

As for your friends 650, is he loading the same componets as you?

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

Hmmmm. evidently not! Very Happy

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

I'm getting in on this post late guys, but I will tell you how I am thinking about a progressive loader without ever using one, and then, you guys can straighten me out.

I use a Lee Classic Turret Press for my 9mm and 45ACP's.

For all of my other Pistols and Rifles, I still use my Dad's old Lyman All American Turret Press, that I have been using since I was 17yrs old, and my Dad used for many years before that.
On the Lyman, I have a Redding Power Dropper.
The Lee, I use the Adj. Dropper.
For my rifles and my .45 Colt and .41 Mag. I scale every load.
Everything else with both reloaders, I will scale every fifth to tenth load.
I find that humidity will change quite often, and then change the powder drops.
I tend to be a pretty good shot, with both pistol and rifle, and want my loads to equal my shooting ability. I do a lot of shooting with my 1911's at 50 yards.
I also like to handle every piece of brass, and be able to see all operations of reloading.

Without ever using a progressive, I feel that to a certain extent, a guy has so assume, to a point, that all reloading is going according to plan.

With the two reloaders that I use, I'm not assuming anything.

I have always lived by the old saying, that if a person does something by assumption, it will come back to bite him in the ass, every time.

OK gang, tell me where I am wrong on this.

Eric

NRA Life Member
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

One thing I’ve have always said, “ You must have confidence in the equipment you use” Very Happy

To say using a progressive press is working with assumptions, I’ll say your wrong.
Although I can understand how one may think this. Over the years I’ve heard guys complain about such presses only to find out they created their own problems in using them. A p-press is not a license to speed, you must still perform your checks and balances and pay attention to what’s going on.
And yes, there is a lot more going on at one time !!!!!

When I first got my Dillion, I did a lot of testing to see how consistent it was. I scaled the first 100 rounds it dropped for my 9MM and 45 ACP loads. I then did a vibration test. I would tap the powder hopper, and drop the handle at the top of the stroke harder than you should. I even ran the hopper down to almost nothing checking to see what it would do with very little powder in it. In all the weight never changed more than .1. Keep in mind, under normal use the press will not get as much powder compacting that I created. My conclusion is Dillion has one of the best powder delivery systems on the market.

I must note that I do not load rifle rounds on my Dillion and cannot give any opinion on it. Although should the need arise for volume rifle reloading, I would not hesitate to give it a try.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

By the way, How's the accuracy @ 50 yards with the 1911's ??????????

~George Washington
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the 550.

My accuracy with my 1911's at 50yds is very good.
My Kimber Custom Target II gives tighter groups if you can call it that, than my Taurus PT 1911.
Much of the accuracy has to do with the type of bullet that I am using.
My best bullet is the Precision 185gr or Precision 200gr. Both of these bullets are LSWC that is coated with the black compound, and doesn't need wax.
When weighed, the Precision Bullet is EXACTLY either 185gr or 200gr.

I shoot at the standard 8" black target, and can put around 90% or better in the black off hand with my first 100 shots.
After that my concentration and muscle control degenerates enough that I'm pretty much all over the place.
In another month, I am expecting better accuracy from myself.
Every year, I have to get my mind and arm into shape shooting at 50yds.

Eric

NRA Life Member
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

Here is a target shot with my 44 magnum Desert Eagle @ 50 yds. These were also loaded on a Dillon 550B.
Soooooo.....Handgun and or rifles, Dont matter, this press is capeabal of produceing very accurate ammunition.

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

I just returned from the Range, and talked to a friend who has a Dillon 550.
He likes his also.

I don't really need, nor do I want to spend the money on one, but just wanted to see what the feeling was around hear about the Dillon.

Reloading is a second hobby for me, and the more time that I spend in my reloading room, the happier I am.

The Dillon, would allow my Wife to subject me to more house work than I care to do. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric

NRA Life Member
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Dillon 550? Reply with quote

Sad At my house the Wife gets her "Honey Do List" stuff done if I have loading I want done or not. Cool Thats alright though, she is real agreeable when it comes time to get more stuff if the bills are all paid and there are groceries in the pantry..

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 2